Is everyone having the same conversation as I am?
“Can you believe it’s November?!”
The past few weeks have been crazy- but good…shall we recap?
1. Celebrating auntie
The fam (or at least some of us) went up to the Pillar and Post for some birthday spa-ing.
It included some drinking of wine out of plastic glasses, steak eatin’, and being touched by a stranger.
Oh, and I walked into a glass door. Note to masseuse: when I tell you to slow down because I took my glasses off, listen to me. Your spa is so dark I think it’s lit with nightlights.
Also, I prefer my pedicure woman to be less judge-y about my feet. Don’t be telling me my nails be short. I know. They’re my feet.
2. I went to the Santa Claus Parade this year, on account of the fact that I’m all up in a BOARD OF DIRECTORS now! It brought back a lot of lovely memories. We used to go to our local parade and see all the floats. Here’s what I remember from my youth: candy (there was waaay more candy), snow (I remember wearing snow pants to the parade), more bands and less dancing. Here’s what I don’t remember: the Star Wars characters. Every year there is a group of Star Wars folks (Jedi, Chewy, storm troopers, etc.) walking downtown with their light sabers. I can’t be too mad, I sure that these lovely folks don’t get out much in their costumes.
There was one group that I could have used less of- the Shriners. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure the free masons do some kick butt work for the community (I hear that keeping that secret handshake safe is a full time job)…but perhaps we could get rid of this:
The Shriners in the Middle Eastern garb playing their symbols and fancy instruments strikes me as a touch…racist? They used to scare me as a kid, I hated when they marched by in their head scarfs. Looking back, I’m pretty sure this is where my internalized Islamophobia started. Thanks a lot.
3. Did you hear? It’s World Kindness Day. Let that soak in for a minute. We have a day to remind us to BE NICE TO EACH OTHER. I’m not sure how I feel about this dedicated day (which is a dedicated week in the office). Apparently we need to stop, look around and check our KINDNESS!??! DOES ANYONE THINK THIS IS THE SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE? I’m all for reminding us to take a minute and remember to check our breasts for cancer, think about mental health issues or to plant a tree. But kindness? KINDNESS?! WE NEED A DAY TO REMIND OURSELVES TO BE DECENT HUMAN BEINGS?
4. It was Remembrance Day. My irritation continues that we pay lip service to those who are in war and who have been fighting, but treat them like this and this. I am kind of over the tokenism that it our country’s Remembrance Day celebrations. If I had my way, I would change the entire process by which we remember. It would be a critical examination of war, the motivations, how folks find themselves in the armed forces (whether by force or by choice…’cause I put money on coercion being used), and all the casualties of war (including civilians caught in the middle of battles, and the soldiers that come home injured physically and mentally).
But that’s just me.
5. Related: I heard a big ol’ stink by several people who complained about Christmas decorations going up before Remembrance Day was properly recognized.
Now listen here: I’m all for soap boxes. I love them. But people that I heard complain to “wait for November 12th” for the lights, music and yuletide excitement need to calm down. Firstly, you need to relax, because if you were this concerned about remembering those who serve in the military maybe you should be talking about how suicides are increasing by the month for those coming home from Afghanistan and how families are waiting years for government support that good old Stephen promised (you know, before he got himself a majority government). Second (and I think my grams would agree), Jesus doesn’t care when you put your lights up.
6. My second placement is almost done.
Which means I’m closer to being DONE this entire degree. And for which I am practicing this walk:
7. Christmas is coming. M and FFD are bringing their pup. According to our mama, this thing is going to be huge by the time they roll into SWO. I prefer to believe that this is what it will be like to spend some time with Jackson over the holidays:
8. We are getting ready for GREY CUP WEEKEND! Also known as the merging of the families in TO in a week and a half. While we are ALL there we are trying to get some tickets for the Grey Cup. I’m not excited about this, as I don’t understand football. But I hear Bieber is performing at half time. Maybe this will make up for my confusion.
9. Tonight we made some epic plans. Can’t say what, but it will be amaze balls. And a little weird.
10. Did you hear what the 2012 Word of the Year is according to Oxford Dictionary people?
IT’S “GIF” !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!