Well, hello there. It has been another self imposed break for myself from blogging (little A it seems has taken a more severe hiatus).
What did you miss? Not too much. Just summer.
Some of us have been living it up, enjoying summer to its fullest potential, and others (like me) have been slogging through the southwestern Ontario heat to make the big bucks.
And yet again, we find ourselves at the end of August, looking at the tail end of summer wondering, what in the heck happened to the last two months. It has been a fairly eventful summer, full of goodbyes/hellos/food/fun/family/work.
This is what you’ve missed from my life:
– Absolutley nothing. As a student in mid-grad school I was given the opportuntity to work full time (rather than the .5 hour work week I had planned) this summer at the job. Yea for my tuition bill, not so exciting for my summer. Working hard 44 hour weeks makes me sleepy. But that will be the end of my complaining- I have a job, and by Friday, I’ll have my fourth semester’s tuition in hand (Ha-llay-lu!).
Other than than that what have I been up to?
– an awesome weekend in Niagara with my favourite peeps
– an expensive trip to the Toronto Women’s Bookstore (woot!)
– corn shucking
– making killer fresh peach daquiris (any opportunity to get my aunt E drunken is an event that deserves copious amounts of run)
– kid-hanging-out-with-fun (except for the 6 year old who told me he wanted me to leave his house the other day…)
– dreaming about having my own apartment again (sidenote: I am totally appreciative of the gift of free living at my parents’ house…don’t read that as ungrateful…Dad, I’m looking at you)
– helped set up a blog here for a family member who will not be named (as she is not utlizing her wordpress tutorial I gave her). We want snarky posts!
– book clubbin’ it up (“Best Laid Plans” by Terry Fallis last month…a hit)
– the Australians have descended (or ascended? as they are on the bottom of the globe?)
– World Prisoner Justice Day in TO (heavy conference, but kind of amazing)
– M has been gone for almost two months! Seems like yesterday she and FFD were broke down in Wawa. I’m currently stewing over the fact that I am not leaving for Fort Fab next week with A. She gets a whole week of vacay in a small northern town where they are mere minutes away from (what I hear) are the best long island ice teas west of Toronto. Maybe that’s a good thing. Because I do believes that FFD has only been around me when I have been inebriated. My goal will be to remain stone cold sober then next time I see him. The fact that I just wrote that being sober is “a goal” is perhaps a giant red flag that I will ignore.
– did I mention the 44 hour work weeks?
– dreaming of fall. Yes, and I will not feel bad for it. A and I had this convo last week. We will not be silenced, you summer lovers. We are lovers of fall. HEAR US! Don’t try and make us feel badly for loving crisp breezes, sweaters, hot apple cider and closed toe shoes. We will not wane in our excited anticipation of the next couple of months! So stop with your cries of “Just enjoy the sunshine, we’ll be in the snow before you know it” and chastizing us for not loving summer enough. We’ve had just about enough of you. STOP OPPRESSING US!
– started back at therapy…an expensive, but wonderful choice
Things that have not happened:
– those summer walks (although A and I did get a Saturday night stroll to the SuperStore at 10pm…living it up)
– one final mark from last semester has not popped up yet. Are we surprised that it’s practicum related? (Remember they’re kind of a hot mess)
– farmers’ marketing w/ dad, I could not say no to sleeping on Saturday mornings after a year of working at 9am on the weekend. Although I will say I miss the free breakfast
– Toronto time, seems a waste when my fave Torontonian has left the Big Smoke for big stars up North!
Things to look forward to:
– starting my second internship next week! Wahoo! Eight months to go before I am a gen-u-ine MSW!
– fall, obvs.
– starting classes
– seeing my MSW peeps! Living 1.5 hours away from school has its advantages, but a disadvantage? Missing my people and our pub.
– high school bestie moving back to Ontario! 12 years is long enough, I command Newfoundland to return my beloved vegetarian!
– Oktoberfest…with bestie back in Ontario, I believe it is a sign that she is moving to the K-W area.
– my own home again. currently salivating over the idea. Sorry, dad. This time around you will be invited more. And I will make you meat dinners. Despite the cost of animal protein.
Things that I am currently obsessed with:
– a food blog, “Joy the Baker”. This only makes me dream of my own kitchen. Although that’s ridiculous, as I live in a home with the nicest and most beautiful kitchen I’ve ever (and probably will ever) have. But it’s not mine.
– Teagan and Sara. Obvs.
– cider, I’ve decided that Alexander Keith’s is my new fave, sorry Strongbow
– Michele Landsberg’s new book “Writing the Revolution”. Slogging through, but ultimately fascinating. In my dreams I imagine that Michele and Stephen Lewis are my family.
– Top Chef. Sorry dad, that’s where all that bandwidth went this month. But seriously, I’m obsessed. Taking a break from the watching.
– My friends. Currently smashing as much time as I can with all those lovelies before school starts. Started today off by a lovely visit with this little one and her mama.
– Adoption. Kind of liking that thought. For now.
– when her new album will be dropped. Can’t. Stand. Anticipation.
– we (and by “we” I mean “me”) bought “The Hunger Games” during the late night SuperStore run. A-mazing.