Twenty three years ago our lives were all changed when a tiny, wrinkly and yellow baby was born. A was born a little too early (setting the stage for her impetuous nature) in a small town in SW Ontario.
What do I remember? My mom was gone for a while, and I got to eat TV dinners with dad and M. Awesome.
And then mom came home, sans baby. Cue lots of crying by mom because my baby sister was all jaundice’d. (Sidenote: until my mid-teens I believed the affliction was actually called “Billy Reuben”. Sigh.).
I remember when she came home (I lost my front tooth that day, very exciting!) and I have a very clear memory of Dad feeding A with a bottle. Awww. By the time she came home she was no longer yellow, but a deep shade of red, as she enjoyed screaming. A lot.
Then came the time where I started to get interested in this baby. So naturally we poked the crap out of her.
Distinct memory #2: Mom telling us to stop poking her and waking her up, because “one of these days she’s going to be bothering you”.
Cue A, 3 years later: GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS! (trailing behind M and myself…EVERYWHERE!)
That being said I have some great memories of my youngest sister:
– eating lunch with her every day (M and I would trade off every other week) when she was in Grade One, to fend off the peanut butter attacks
– Seeing A in her favourite place in the world, Disney World.
– A singing “Catch a Falling Star” at the top of her lungs on a city bus on the way home from the university. Imagine a tiny 8 year old in a snowsuit at the back of a bus all alone. Singing. With her sisters glaring at her.
– When ever I smell vaseline/glaxal base/skin cream of any kind, I will think of A and how her PJs stuck to her after being greased up
– Her brunette phase
– Practicing saving A’s life on oranges
– Feeding A a nut filled cookie (sorry mom!)
– Moving A into her first dorm
– The hockey games
– Every Christmas morning
What are your favourite moments with A?
Some of A’s favourite things in honour of her birthday…(look for more stuff popping up throughout her b-day!)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE GROUND!