Every new year warrants a nostalgic look back at what made the past 365 days something to remember. Here’s what I’ll remember the most about 2010…
10. The Winter Olympics: This happened to coincide with my reading week. Let’s just say not a whole lot of reading was done, and a whole lotta watching other people being elite athletes while I ate chocolate.
9. My first Pittsburgh Penguins hockey game: I won’t overwhelm you with my love for the Pens (at least not in this post- be prepared), but this was a sick game. The fact that they lost is irrelevant…
8. Getting my first (and only) Blackberry: Yeah, I lost it two months later. Balls.
7. Macgruber and Hot Tub Time Machine: Two of the worst movies ever all wrapped up into the same evening, but that remain a constant source of snort inducing laughter.
6. Living in Toronto for the summer: Made even better because I was living with m. Also, mastering* the subway system makes you feel like you truly did something freaking fantastic.
*- aka riding the most straight forward route ever consisting of the same 5 stops that in total travel time took approx. 10 seconds. Don’t even suggest switching subway lines, I’m not Houdini.
5. Sidney Crosby’s Golden Goal: This goal and this win for Canada during the 2010 Winter Olympics instilled so much national pride and comraderie. Plus, could you imagine how awkward it would have been if they had lost? I’m wincing just thinking about it..
4. Snowmageddon: 3 consecutive snow days in the middle of December, during exams? While some keeners out there were quietly sobbing or even ignoring the fact that Weldon Library was closed and trekked there anyway, I did a happy dance. And then Dad came in and handed me a shovel. Why meee?
3. My second Pittsburgh Penguins hockey game: This time in Buffalo, I sported my coveted number 87 home jersey and almost kicked a toddler in the face after I thought I spotted Crosby. It was a false alarm anyway and I’m sure the kid is fine..
2. Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift: Both dropped albums in 2010 and are on constant repeat on my iPod. Just because I’m almost 23 doesn’t mean my (music) tastes have to be all cool and intellectual. And I swear I only have 2 Justin Beiber songs on there…. ok, 3. And maybe some Jonas Brothers. And Demi Lovato. And Willow Smith.
1. SCOTLAND!: Visiting the homeland with the fam (minus m) was the best experience. From the Isle of Skye, to Edinburgh, that country is amazing and I can’t wait to go back and continue my study of Fish and Chips.